THE PORT ELIZABETH CLIMATEPort Elizabeth has a subtropical climate where the Winters are cool but mild and summers are warm but considerably less humid and hot than more northerly parts of South Africa’s east coast.
Port Elizabeth offers a moderate climate, and is known to have the most sunshine and fewest rainy days of any of South Africa’s seaside cities. Port Elizabeth’s weather is rated as the fourth best climate of any coastal city in the world and there is little difference in the average temperature between summer and winter with the sea remaining warm enough for swimming all year round.
Port Elizabeth enjoys a daily average of 7 – 8 hours of sunshine daily and in winter (April to August) the temperatures range from 7 – 20°C and in summer the temperatures range from 16 – 26° C.
What To PackWhile on Safari, it is wise to choose clothing in neutral, camouflage colours such as brown, khaki, stone or beige which will make you less visible and able to get closer to the wild animals you may want to see. It is advisable to layer your clothing as this provides more warmth when necessary and allows you to remove clothing during the hottest period of the day.
Essential Clothing To Pack
- Neutral coloured clothing
- Protective hat or cap
- Warm sweater or jacket for cooler evenings
- Light weight rain jacket
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Comfortable shorts & T-shirt (daytime)
- Long sleeve shirts and trousers (night time)
Essential Personal Items To Pack
- Insect repellent
- Suitable Sunblock (SPF 15+) and after sun lotion
- Moisturizer, lip balm
- UV Protection sunglasses plus protective case
- Camera, film or memory card and spare batteries
- Reading and writing material (journal)